Group Riding Basics
On most group rides, KCC will adopt the ‘Circular Chain Gang’ formation…
Killinchy CC Etiquette
- Observe the rules of the road/highway code https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82
- Keep your front wheel a safe distance behind and slightly to the side of the rear wheel in front.
- Always check behind and signal before manoeuvre.
- Scan the road ahead and know your surroundings so you can react in time.
- Riders at the front to signal/call to other riders if there are upcoming obstacles. The call should be relayed down the group and a smooth motion to avoid the obstacle
- Leave bigger gaps when descending.
- Cyclist at rear to call “car up” for cars approaching from behind; and “single up” if required.
- Lead cyclist to call “car down” when cars are approaching from ahead.
- Maximum of two abreast and single up when holding traffic up and on narrow roads.
- Never cycle on the wrong side of road or cross the white line where present.
- Never pass on the inside of the person in front of you. Always pass on the outside and only when the road is clear behind as well as in front.
- Ride and change position at a steady pace, keeping the pack as a compact unit.
- Don’t make any sudden movements – the cyclist behind is putting his/her trust in you.
- No mp3s/ipods
- No helmet no ride.